You Are Among The Elite!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

This One Shocked Me Into Writing...

Yes, I have been gone for a few weeks and having the time of my life. Well, maybe not the time of my life but certianly the best times I have had in years. This news story shocked me into writing today. Less shock actually than irritation....

A judge in Los Angeles, California has declared that the University system there may deny credit to graduates of Christian high schools if they were taught science with textbooks that deny evolution and declare the bible infallible. The reasoning is that the textbooks do not involve critical thinking and omitted important science and history lesions.

This case is headed to the ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, which is the most overturned court in America, where it will most likely be affirmed. Then it will be off to the U.S. Supreme Court.

This is absurd. While I insist that all academic works contain all of the theories and rationale behind anything possible, the part that declares it omits important science and history lessons is disturbing. I don’t remember my high school science and history texts very well, but I think I am safe to say that we never discussed creation. But what larger historical reference can there be other than religion? It is the basis for visually everything that has happened in history to one degree or another. The battles between Israel and Palestinians dates to the Old Testament. The War on Terror is rooted in the Crusades begun by the Catholic Church. America herself was begun because of the philosophical religions battles with the Anglican Church.

To deny evolution in a Christian High School is silly. But no more so than denying the importance of religion in s secular history classes. Is it too much to ask for some consistency? Maybe a little respect for academic institutions that allow for open minded thinking and the evaluation of all possible information. The whole point to academia is not to learn facts by rote, but to enable the mind to explore all options and come to a thoughtful conclusion.

But then again, we are talking about California. These are people who believe that their are no differences between men and women.

I am pretty sure that even Bill Clinton would disagree. John Edwards surely does.

Stay tuned in October of 2010 when this decision emerges from the U.S. Supreme Court!

5 Posts From Readers:

rockync said...

It seems that as the human race continues to evolve, many biblical tenets tend to mesh with scientific discoveries rather than clash with them. I myself find it hard to believe that my earliest ancestor was a one celled bit of jelly, but that is what I was taught in school. I think we do a great dis-service to our young people when we don't allow that they have enough intelligence to hear all the theories and draw their own conclusions. On the other hand, science encompasses a much broader subject matter than just evolution and to deny these students a diploma over it is pretty harsh.
If the same criteria were applied to all of academia we would have few doctors, nurses, lawyers,etc.
Sigh - but as you say, Robert, this is California we are talking about...

Anonymous said...

Wow, I almost don't know what to say!! Like you said, it's California. EVERYTHING should be taught and the children should be allowed to make up their own minds. Isn't that what freedom is about. I don't want someone telling me how many kids to have, and certainly not what I can or cannot believe. It's sounding very communistic! (if that is even a word??)

Anonymous said...

My wife's a Californian. Yes, they are wacky. Her Italian ancestry keeps her pretty grounded though. What am I thinking - she's just as wacked as the rest.

Sorry man, just didn't have anything to add. Welcome back!

Obob said...

imagine what kind of justices obama will bring.

Anonymous said...

Come on man. Nothing from the last day and a half has dragged you back out of that hole?!

I'm itching for a fight. Or at least some amicable disagreement :)

Other Stuff