You Are Among The Elite!

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Time Flies!

And I have been absolutely pathetic as far as posting. I have missed too many good stories, but the summer has been too fun lately, hanging with the kids and finding a new sense of being alive..

I won't bore you with the details, but will fill them in as time goes by. I am a pretty rigid guy. i can be spontaneous, as long as you schedule a time for it...lol. CC and I seems to be at odds often about this difference in personalities, because she lives her life by the minute and I live mine by the calendar.

She enjoys her life much more than I do sometimes, and lately I have been making an effort to change that a little, maybe even to a significant extent. She and I have been spending some real quality time together, something we haven't done in years. I think it is paying off, as the stress level is down and the laughter level is up.

We have also joined a gym, and are resolved to be fit once again. It has helped our energy level and outlook on life, and I am enjoying every minute of it. We have a trainer we are working with, and will keep doing it until the recreation fund runs dry, but it has taught us alot about our nutrition, keeping fit, how our bodies work, and how to eat to live instead of living to eat.

We went to my brother's Episcopal wedding and I was intrigued. I was raised a Baptist and have refused to go anywhere else. Both of my brothers have become Episcopalians over the last 15 years, and I see why now. So CC and I have visited an Episcopal Church and plan on doing so again this weekend. I am thrilled to find a place where worship is the center of the service, not the collection plate to build another $20 million sanctuary. More on that later.

So, I have been enjoying my real life and you guys have suffered (NOT) in my absence. I am experiencing a sensation of being alive more than I have in 10 years. It will provide, I hope, fuel for some interesting discussions.

Don't give up on me yet. I am still alive and well!

6 Posts From Readers:

rockync said...

I miss your posts but I think it's wonderful you are exploring some positive changes. Seems like we hit stages in our lives where all of a sudden the lightbulb goes on and we think,"I can do more, I can be more, I can enjoy more."
I too have made some new discoveries over the last few years - I hope I never get too old to learn new things!
I keep a box with inspirational snippets I've collected over the years. Each morning I have a time to commune with God and the world around me and I pick something out of the box to ponder on that day. I love the feeling of being centered when I start the day. I give you one or two here:
"Stop every now and then. Just stop and enjoy. Take a deep
breath. Relax and take in the abundance of life."
"Begin doing what you want to do now. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake." -- Marie Beyon Ray

All in all, it truly is a wonderful life!

Anonymous said...

let me know which episcopal church you visited. I have a church membership now, but always in love with the episcopal church I was confirmed in.

Robert said...

Bossy, it was St. Lukes in Mountain Brook. We are going to visit, ummm....I can;t remember at the moment but I think the one we chose next was on Acton Road.

Rocky, that inspirational quote is pretty much what I am feeling at the moment. "Just stop and enjoy" is what I have been telling myself. We are so busy in our lives - Work, my second job teaching, my Civitan club, cub scout leader, baseball coach, working at the gym, and the fact that there is yard work that never gets done and house cleaning that needs done and despite the bonding with my son doing sports and scouts, we never just go quietly fishing or throwing a ball together and alone. I finally realized that there is only one opportunity for things, and that is NOW...not next week, not next year. I will wake up one day and my kids will be gone and my wife and I would have a thousand things we wished we had done and can never have...

It is awesome! I think our efforts at being healthier and increasing our energy helps too...

I will make an effort to feed your hunger a little more often...but to be honest, some days I never even think of my little house on the web...

Also, I have bene interacting with T-P from the Truth-Pain Emporium lately, and he is int he middle of something that just amazes me. Perhaps we can talk about it later, but it helped me realize that there is no tomorrow..

And in the immortal words of one of my favorite actors - "Carpe Diem!"

Anonymous said...

Good for you Robert, and welcome back.

An old CO used to tell me that 20 push ups were good for 20 extra minutes of energy. I never understood his reasoning, because he was always throwing 40 at me, and I felt like I needed 20 extra minutes of sleep for it :)

Swampcracker said...

This story, The Death of Reaganomics reflects some new realities:

The biggest political story of 2008 is getting little coverage. It involves the collapse of assumptions that have dominated our economic debate for three decades.

Since the Reagan years, free-market cliches have passed for sophisticated economic analysis. But in the current crisis, these ideas are falling, one by one, as even conservatives recognize that capitalism is ailing.

You know the talking points: Regulation is the problem and deregulation is the solution. The distribution of income and wealth doesn't matter. Providing incentives for the investors of capital to "grow the pie" is the only policy that counts. Free trade produces well-distributed economic growth, and any dissent from this orthodoxy is "protectionism."

The old script is in rewrite. "We are in a worldwide crisis now because of excessive deregulation," Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., the chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, said in an interview.

He notes that in 1999 when Congress replaced the New Deal-era Glass-Steagall Act with a looser set of banking rules, "we let investment banks get into a much wider range of activities without regulation." This helped create the subprime mortgage mess and the cascading calamity in banking.

While Frank is a liberal, the same cannot be said of Ben Bernanke, the chairman of the Federal Reserve. Yet in a speech on Tuesday, Bernanke sounded like a born-again New Dealer in calling for "a more robust framework for the prudential supervision of investment banks and other large securities dealers."


Times are changing, but if your thinking remains too inflexible to change with the times, you will be doing yourself and your readers a great disservice.

rockync said...

Robert, I'll keep checking in for new posts and in the meantime, I'm very happy for you and your family being able to shift a little and find a whole new set of experiences to share!
On my days off in the summer, I used to leave dishes piled in the sink and a mess everywhere and make a lunch and take the boys to the lake for the day.
Of course, they are all grown up now, but I hope those memories are as sweet for them as they are for me.

Other Stuff