You Are Among The Elite!

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Do You Know A Hero?

I didn't know Joseph Richardson. I don't know if he was a veteran or a janitor, alcoholic or a saint. What I do know is that he loved his daughter more than he loved his own life. As he and his four year old daughter Kaniyah were walking to McDonald's for some burgers, a car driven by someone under the influence of a controlled substance drove on the curb. He grabbed his daughter just before the car struck him and hit a fence, killing Richardson. Kaniyah is fine.

I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling that Joseph Richardson would have done the same thing if it were my kid or your kid in the same situation. Character is character, and I hope I would have been in a state of mind to do the same.

We talk about our combat vets being heroes, and they are indeed. We talk about our police officers and firefighters as heroes, and heroes they are. What we don't hear about is the everyday guy who is a hero. Who saves a life or many lives. The guy who rights the wrongs as best he can.

I salute Joseph Richardson for doing what I would hope to do in the same situation. God Bless You and your incredible family.

5 Posts From Readers:

Anonymous said...

that's what parents are for. Though the idea scared me, I always knew my parents would die to protect me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post Robert. Not enough is said about the common fellow on the street, who is just doing his thing to get by, and protect his family.

rockync said...

One just has to pay attention to the people around you to spot all the heroes amongst us.
Thank you for bringing Mr. Richardson to our attention; he and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers today.

Robert said...

Bossy, I missed out on welcoming you to the house. We are often a little messy, and sometimes even loud, but we have a good time. Come back anytime.

rockync said...

And here is another hero of our world; Irena Sendler, a Polish woman who saved thousands of Jewish children during World War Two by smuggling them out of the Warsaw Ghetto, died in the Polish capital on Monday after a long illness, she was 98. She bristled at being called a hero saying just the opposite was true,"I didn't do enough." Rest in peace Miss Irena.

Other Stuff