You Are Among The Elite!

Monday, August 28, 2006

The GOP Still Doesn't Get It

The link is to a FoxNews interview with Ken Mehlman, who is either lost in the wilderness, or just doesn't want to air the dirty laundry.

I have posited for months now that the GOP was in big trouble. Setting aside the war in Iraq for the moment, there is a laundry list of things that the GOP has failed to do. As a staunch conservative I was really hoping that the GOP wouldn't squander Gingrich's strategic victories, and maybe we had some people in D.C. who really would place into action the things that the base wanted to see. Things like Social Security reform, permanent tax cuts, decreased spending for "entitlement" programs, and at least a balanced budget. These things didn't happen.

Of course, there are two major hurdles that have been there since the first year of Bush's presidency. The 9/11 attacks and everything that has transpired since then, and the democratic party. The only thing the dems can change is to tax all of us higher than today.

Regardless, since '94 the GOP has had control of the legislative branch. Nothing has been done that needed to be done. Conservatives like myself are really put out with the party at the moment. Honestly, I feel black. The dems pander to the black voting block in this country because they take them for granted. Oh, they profess to feel their pain and understand their plight. But at the end of the day there is nothing done to help them, except for blaming republicans because their welfare checks are too small.

So, the GOP knows it has me. They know there is no other alternative out there, so they can spout off about how many things they want to do, but never do. They know as long as they keep a 3rd party off the ballot, then they have my vote because no matter how terrible they are, the dems are even further out. It pisses me off, but I don't know what to do about it. I am involved in local politics, but how do we change the national party?


Off the subject, this is my first post since Thursday. Apparently my bumper sticker down below really got stuck in a couple of craws. People in blogland are really too uptight. Maybe they need to leave off the coffee for a night, stop watching for the black helicopters, turn off the JFK assassination tapes and finally give up trying to find the guy in the grassy knoll, and sleep for a change. It would do them good.

Anyway, I didn't post over the weekend because a) I am doing some remodeling of our home. Not that I did a lot of it this weekend, but I am milking that excuse b) I watched TV all day yesterday. John Wayne in The Green Berets, and The Longest Day, and The Sands of Iwo Jima (My dad was a technical advisor for the Marine Corps on this movie) It was a great day, and I don't think I burned more than 200-300 calories, and that was getting up to get pizza and a diet coke. Does it get any better than that?

15 Posts From Readers:

Anonymous said...

Robert: "Apparently my bumper sticker down below really got stuck in a couple of craws. People in blogland are really too uptight. Maybe they need to leave off the coffee for a night, stop watching for the black helicopters, turn off the JFK assassination tapes and finally give up trying to find the guy in the grassy knoll, and sleep for a change. It would do them good."

I don't have to watch for the helicopters as I'm directly under the flight path of the local Air National Guard and Blackhawks are a given.

JFK? It's the unsolvable mystery to some...to others like me, an amusing collection of theories with more entertainment value than a Ron Howard film.

Lastly, you will take my coffee from my cold dead hand. That's partisan hating of the Juan Valdez Party and I won't stand for it.

In all seriousness, I have to take issue with your comments about black voters. Perhaps the reason the GOP isn't attracting black voters in droves is because you classify them with the following statements: "But at the end of the day there is nothing done to help them, except for blaming republicans because their welfare checks are too small." Do you or do you not see the inherent racism/class-warfare in this comment? Are you stating that all black voters are collecting welfare? I'm not calling you an outright racist, but I think a lot of comments we crackers make tip our cards more than we'd like.

On the subject, I'd recommend checking out the animated version of Aaron McGruder's Boondocks. It's on Adult Swim (when only the coffee drinkers and vampires are awake) but season one just came out on DVD. You'd probably call it liberal, and I won't argue that, but there are some striking lessons in those shows that I consider gold. He's not gunning for the Democratic Party, but more along the line of Martin Luther King's Dream.

Robert said...

Nicho, I think you are off about my comments. I apparently did not make my point well.

I was not saying that about the welfare checks, I am saying that the dems make those type of claims toward black voters. Whenever they want to appeal to the black voting block, it is always about how the GOP wants to cut social spending, yadda yadda yadda. If anything, I think it is the GOP who wants people to stand for themselves. The GOP believes that everyone, regardless of color, can stand for themselves without handouts that cripple the people they are intending to assist.

If it appears that I was saying those things, I apologize. I was trying to summarize a thousand democratic platitudes in one sentence.

I encourage the addition of black voters to the GOP. I personally think that the party welcomes anyone who wishes to bring about REAL conservative changes.

I am with you on the coffee. My first steps in the morning are downstairs to the coffee pot which was set on a timer the night before to avoid delay in the consumption of my go juice. In fact, I recently discovered a Starbucks hidden on my way to work. Straight cofffee, none of the fru-fru drinks for me. The unique roasting of those beans has me addicted.

Dardin Soto said...

Robert:
In my zeal to thank you for your poignant words and kind remarks at my blog today, I was pleasantly surprised to find such a fine place to muse my thoughts as well.
I cannot thank you enough. Your comments were deep, meaning and crystalized even more things in my mind that I had not considered.
My blessings to you, your family, and that one very special daughter of yours,... Life puts barriers only to special people, and she is one of them.
I will be a regular visitor, with your permission, of course.

Robert said...

Thanks are not necessary, but you are most welcome nonetheless. Sometimes I think we all need to slow down our own rhetoric as well as lifestyles and remember what is important. Sometimes a word is kind to someone, when the writer does not even realize it. I foget this sometimes in my daily speech as well as writing.

Permissions are as equally unnecessary here. You are most welcome anytime, and its a prtty laid back place. Post anything, anytime, even if it is way off base.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

You Wrote:
Of course, there are two major hurdles that have been there since the first year of Bush's presidency. The 9/11 attacks and everything that has transpired since then, and the democratic party.

Yes. Let's first demonize that which provides a convenient excuse. Have you ever heard of Personal Responsibility?? You (meaning party) own the White House. You own both sides of the Hill. You own the Supreme Court, and 90% of the underlying court system. And you STILL can't get anything done!! There's a reason for that, and it's not called Democrats. It's called pure incompetence, and that's why you are going to get your ass kicked in November, and again in '08

Newt Gingrich. He was quite a role model. He screwed his Secretary while his wife lay dying. Anybody that even remotely identifies with him, is not a Republican. They are hate filled religious radicals with an agenda of only destruction of America.

"The Base." Dubya's "base" is a decided minority of radical terrorists who rode to power behind the robes of Christianity, and promises to "clean up the white house." I was ashamed of Clinton's actions, but I must tell you - I'd rather have a President that got a quick blow job under his desk than one that is a mass murderer, a war criminal, and may yet start WWIII. The Good Old Nazi Party has you because they deserve you - and vice a versa. Even the stupidest of people have seen way too much "Christianity" as applied to politics by you.

"Iraq aside...." LOL!! My God, Man!! "I'm sorry I pushed Mommy out of the car and down that canyon, but other than that, what did you kids think of our trip?"

Republicans make good excuses. Democrats make good Leaders.

Robert said...

Other than JFK, the dems haven't had anyone I would classify as a leader in decades.

Your politics is obvious Future, because you lack consistency. In the same post you assert moral relativism in teh case of Clinton adultery, yet define Gingrich as a poor role model because of adultery.

Gingrich was/is one of the most brilliant political strategists of our time. The contract with America was genius, and despite the fact that you don't agree with it, it carried the day. His foloowers are "hate filled....agenda of the destruction of America?" What world are you living in? The only person who applied "christianity" to this post is you. I was speaking of the GOP base, and that is thse conservatives who want a return to the party of Reagan.

Nazi? Please. Save the nonsense for your calls to Air America.

I do agree to a point about the GOP and their inability to make progress while in charge. I have never said anything else, other than how the GOP doesn't know what to do with victory. I think they have squandered the gains of the '90s, and have failed to do what the base of the party wants.

As far as the democratic party, their leadership style is to oppose everything. That warms your heart?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I emphatically disagree that Dems havne't had a leader - like him or not, Bill Clinton was a leader. Al Gore is a surprisingly strong leader. Hillary is even a leader and I personally don't like her at all.

Stop with the talking points. Dems have leaders, but the rest of us don't blindly follow one supreme ideology. The Dems greatest weakness and yet one of it's greatest strength is that we're very accommodating to all kinds of ideas.

Dems aren't the only ones who oppose legislation and are quite vocal with legislation that is too "Clinton" to even be considered by the majority, and that's one of the many reasons that Republicans are failing in congress are are going to lose control in November.

Robert said...

Nicho, for those meds to work you have to take them consistently...lol.

Al Gore is a fruitcake. Hillary might lead a sorority chapter of radical feminists, but beyond that there is nothing leaderlike about her. There are many dems that I disagree with about ideology, but that I respect. She is not one of them.

You may not all follow the party blindly, because not everyone could be as far left as Pelosi and crowd. But to say that the democratic party welcomes those who step off the party line is ridiculous. The name joe Leiberman ring a bell? Despite his record of voting the line 90% of the time, he has become persona non grata because he supports the war.

The GOP has itself to blame if we lose in November. Our greatest failing is to forget how we win. We win, and always have, by sticking to principles of conservatism, and stating an objective and working toward the goal. This current crowd has forgotten Reagan conservatism - hell, has forgotten conservatism period - and doesn't know how to lead.

But it is not a democratic lock, yet. But you can certainly encourage them to proceed as if it is!

Anonymous said...

Correction: The GOP wins with Atwater-tested tactics of running dirty tricks smear campaigns. You know it and I know it.

Lieberman may have a 90% voting record with Dems, but the current Republican candidate for the open MN Senate seat has ads running that he "doesn't vote Republican all the time" yet boasts a 93% Republican voting record. Could it be the numbers that are misleading, or the person quoting them? The more you bring up Lieberman, the more I'll bring up Chaffee - I consider that a wash.

*singing* You say deeno, I say DINO, I say reeno, you say RINO...

And yes, Democrats welcome all kinds of ideas. For example, I don't like the Dem leadership of Schumer and Clinton. I can't stand PETA because I'm of the mind that says pets should have more rights that certain segments of the human population. But we're all together when it comes to pushing ahead good legislation and blocking bad legislation. Lieberman has demonstrated time and again that his votes, when needed, just aren't there. When they're not needed, he's more than happy to vote Democrat hence his "stellar" Democratic voting record.

And now, my friend, I must ask you to explain how Al Gore is a "fruitcake", because I'm just not seeing it.

Sen. Stevens in his Incredible Hulk tie going off on a tirade when his state isn't getting millions of dollars for a project that effects a population of 55 people is vaguley fruitcakish... A man like Gore who recognizes his own mistakes and the mistakes of his fellow man, be they Democrat or Repulbican, and speaks out to correct those mistakes is hardly what I'd call a "fruitcake". To me that's being a good citizen.

Robert said...

DINO, RINO...LMAO.

I disagree with the smear tactics comment. i don't argue that the GOP doesn't use them, mind you. But I think conservatives win with principles, not smears. i would be happy to see negative campaigning become extinct, but the fact is that it works for both sides.

Chaffee? Never liked him, and hoenstly haven't followed him. McCain is the one I wish would change parties. I guess I view him much like you view GOP Joe...he jsut isn't there on the important votes. Not that he necessarily can be classified as a dem, he just isn't the conservative that some think he is.

Gore is a fruitcake because of his eco-centric sociopathic, paranoid scizophrenic behaviors. Sounding like Al Sharpton one day, Ward Cleaver the next. The tantrums he threw in 2000.

Stevens and his ilk, regardless of party, disgust me. He isn't a fruitcake, he just knows how the system works. It is pathetic that we continue to allow it to happen. A bridge in Alaska that more polar bears wil use than people, geeesh.

You must have the day off. I haven't seen you around this much since you started the new job.

Robert said...

DINO, RINO...LMAO.

I disagree with the smear tactics comment. i don't argue that the GOP doesn't use them, mind you. But I think conservatives win with principles, not smears. i would be happy to see negative campaigning become extinct, but the fact is that it works for both sides.

Chaffee? Never liked him, and hoenstly haven't followed him. McCain is the one I wish would change parties. I guess I view him much like you view GOP Joe...he jsut isn't there on the important votes. Not that he necessarily can be classified as a dem, he just isn't the conservative that some think he is.

Gore is a fruitcake because of his eco-centric sociopathic, paranoid scizophrenic behaviors. Sounding like Al Sharpton one day, Ward Cleaver the next. The tantrums he threw in 2000.

Stevens and his ilk, regardless of party, disgust me. He isn't a fruitcake, he just knows how the system works. It is pathetic that we continue to allow it to happen. A bridge in Alaska that more polar bears will use than people, geeesh.

You must have the day off. I haven't seen you around this much since you started the new job.

Robert said...

DINO, RINO...LMAO.

I disagree with the smear tactics comment. i don't argue that the GOP doesn't use them, mind you. But I think conservatives win with principles, not smears. i would be happy to see negative campaigning become extinct, but the fact is that it works for both sides.

Chaffee? Never liked him, and hoenstly haven't followed him. McCain is the one I wish would change parties. I guess I view him much like you view GOP Joe...he jsut isn't there on the important votes. Not that he necessarily can be classified as a dem, he just isn't the conservative that some think he is.

Gore is a fruitcake because of his eco-centric sociopathic, paranoid scizophrenic behaviors. Sounding like Al Sharpton one day, Ward Cleaver the next. The tantrums he threw in 2000.

Stevens and his ilk, regardless of party, disgust me. He isn't a fruitcake, he just knows how the system works. It is pathetic that we continue to allow it to happen. A bridge in Alaska that more polar bears will use than people, geeesh.

You must have the day off. I haven't seen you around this much since you started the new job.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

Robert...Robert...Robert!! ".....As far as the democratic party, their leadership style is to oppose everything. That warms your heart?"

That exposes an ignorance I honestly don't believe you possess. Throw away the Ann Coulter manual and think for yourself. It's why God gave us both a brain! If our leadership style is to "oppose everything", then we are against Democracy, right? And that then logically means you (meaning GOP, not you personally), are 100% right, and we're 100% wrong. Do you see some familiar footprints ahead in the path you're on? It's more than a little hard to have any kind of a meaningful exchange with statements like that.

Robert said...

I can give you examples of GOP compromise to democratic initiatives under Clinton. Can you give me a single example of a compromise with either Bush?

Robert said...

Fresh mind on a new day.....

I think that Coulter has some excellent points about politics and the modern day liberal. BUT, I think it gets lost in the shrill, over the top rhetoric. She sells books, so her objective is complete. I can usually take Ann in medium sized doses because she makes her points in such an outrageous manner that it even turns me from her.

I don't believe my opinion of the democrat party is ignorant. What I see from the dems is opposition to everything republican, regardless of what it might be. OF course, the GOP is not immune from this same criticism. The parties have different ideas...so there is to be partisan bickering and opposition to most things. What angers me is the opposition to commn sense approaches, that aren't really wrapped in ideology, that fuels the political rhetoric.

Other Stuff